This morning I had decided to start putting together a list of writing prompts for this task. I’m not too sure when I will complete this task yet, but I wanted to get this ready for when I do start it. I also printed this list out and cut them into their individual prompts so I can randomly choose which one I want to work on.
The list of prompts I have choose are as follows:
1) Close your eyes briefly. Think of one object that`s in the room and focus on it. Without opening your eyes, recall as much detail as you can about it. After 3 minutes or so, open your eyes and write about that object without looking at it.
2) Write about the biggest lie you`ve ever told.
3) What would you do with three wishes?
4) Begins with “I thought I saw . . .”
5) List 20 things that annoy you. Pick one and write about it.
6) Choose one of your physical feature and write about how you can change or disguise that feature.
7) Write a letter to the teacher who gave you a hard time in primary, intermediate or high school.
8) The best thing in life is . . .
9) What are things you can do in 3 minutes? List them.
10) Flip through a magazine and create a story around the first image you see.
11) In 300 words, write about “deceit”.
12) Write about a task, job or chore you dislike.
13) List 10-15 things worth saving then choose one of those things and write about it.
14) Think of a human attribute for “pride” and free write on it for 5 minutes.
15) What’s your idea of a perfect holiday?
16) Write about a time you hid from someone, or a time you disguised who you really were.
17) What do you do on a rainy day? Write about it in 250 words.
18) In 500 words or less, write about “a plate of sunshine”.
19) Write about a blue-coloured object.
20) Where do you go when you want to get away from the pressures of life, family, work, etc? Write about that place.
21) List 50 things you’ll never do.
22) If an ATM could be custom created for you, what would it spew out instead of money?
23) Write from the point of view of a coffee maker that short-circuited.
24) Write about 5 things you would do to entertain yourself if you did not see a soul for 7 days.
25) Make a list of: The 7 top things that could happen to bad people.
Begin with "I thought I saw..."
I thought I saw you standing there. I mean, he looked like you. Long, flowing brown hair and at least 6 feet tall. However, I awkwardly discovered that it was not you.
I called out your name at least five times but he did not respond at all. When I got closer, I tapped on his shoulder. Suddenly, he turned around and the first thing I noticed was his bright red lipstick. "What?" he said in an abnormally high voice for a dude.
Turns out, he was a she and she was not you. Oops.
20 March 15: 10 Reasons You Should Skip Bathing for a Week
1. It's a waste of energy: nobody really notices anyway.
2. More time for other pursuits.
3. You won't get wet or have to dry off.
4. Your hair will neither soak your pillow nor freeze when you leave for work.
5. Save on your water bill.
6. If you're depressed enough to consider going a week without bathing, you probably don't have the energy to do it anyway.
7. There's a point at which body odor smells good, isn't there? When it's your own, at least?
8. You'll probably be able to spend the whole week in your pajamas as well.
9. You will significantly lower your risk of slipping and falling in the bathroom.
10. If you can do it, so can I.
18 March 2015: "What are things you can do in 3 minutes? List them."
-brush your teeth
-put your laundry away
-drink some water
-send a txt message
-eat Girl Scout Cookies
-check FB/update status
--pet the cat
--rub a tum-tum-tummy
--clean the litterbox
--feed the pets
--a couple rounds of fetch
-wash dishes (at least some!)
-add a book to a BibzII list and order it
-short writing exercises
-short drawing exercises
-jot out a postcard to someone you love
-heat up Mrs. Grass soup
-shelve DVDs or new books
-have a dream that seems to last hours
-a turn in Taboo
-wash your hands
-research an etymology
-draw a mustache on a photo of a movie star
-a round of cribbage
-take an Instax photo!
-walk into a room and find a seat with good feng shui
-ram your ship into an iceberg
Nr 13. Write about a weird day in your workplace.
Nr 7. Electricity is a recent discovery. Think of 12 things to do when there's no power.
Nr 17. In 400 words, create your ideal place.
Nr 21. Write a letter to the 10 year old child you had been
Nr 27. Write a story about an empty glass.
Nr 96. You come home and check your phone messages. You get to the third message and freeze. Begin from there.
Nr 203. Write from the point of view of a branch with a bird perched on it.
Nr 121. Start your story with this: "She touched the little box in her pocket and smiled."
Nr 274. My old room was...
Nr 315. Use the following words in your story: diplomat, jacket, conference room, balloon
Nr 292. Use all these words in a story or poem: grandfather,photo-album, post office, folder
Nr 346. Use the following words in a story: college student, crumpled paper, train, laptop
Nr 129. Write a lighthearted piece on how to get on with an enemy
Nr 53. Write about what you'd cook for an enemy.
Nr 196. Write from the point of view of a freshly scrubbed floor.
Nr 272. Use all these words in a story: priest, ring, garden, magnifying glass
Nr 108. List 10 things you do whenever you procrastinate
Nr 22. In 200 words write about your first toy.
Nr 302. Write from the point of view of a spoon inside a dishwasher.
Nr 216. Write from the point of view of the last tree standing in a forest.
Nr 132. How would a broken plate feel.
Nr 345. Write from the point of view of a stack of paper a few inches from the shreder
Nr 185. Use the following words in your story: little boy, torn page, market, cart.
Nr 260. Use this metaphor to spark a story or poem: a chest of childhood
Nr 68. Begin with: I thought I saw...
118. "You know what else kids don't know?"
313 Michelle Corcoran and Chris Lucado meet up after his break up. One of hem is afraid of height
Prompt #4 done. Progress: 3/25
Prompt #2 done.
Discarding prompt #3 on the basis of I cannot bring myself to make up meanings for words that already have perfectly good ones. #4 is next.
Prompt #1 done. Going in order, discarding any that just bring writer's block or make me shouty.
Total to date (2/11/13): 6
3/25 - Art prompt from io9
2/25 - Questions from writing book
Posting these to www.wakingfades.tumblr.com
- Prompt #161
- Prompt #231
- Prompt #248
Checked out website and may do more than the task requires. The topics seem fun and interesting!